Happy Valentines Day!
Variations in Pink by Fargo Artist Ellen Jean Diederich
One of my favorites, “Variations in Pink” is a compositional piece focused on variation and repetition. My mother’s favorite flower is the Peony. They smell so good and change beautifully as they open up. The buds are the simplest of shapes like little spheres of color and then dramatically open up in full bloom. “Variations in Pink” is available as reproduction. This piece developed from my Tapestry series, where I patterned colors in related values to create shapes.
Here are some of the changes I focused on when painting this piece. Select a focus for your next painting.
- The warmest warm next to the coolest cools. See how the pinks are almost orange on the left and burgundy to violet in the shadows.
- Vary the simplicity of shape to highly detailed.
- Changing the size of related objects. The largest flower dominates the painting, but the small flowers create connections and movements in the piece.
- The variety of greens is also not to be missed from dull to pure.
Mark your Calendars!
Framed Giclée Sale – 30% off all framed giclées in stock – February 22-23, 2019 at my studio 10:00AM – 6:00PM
3374 Maplewood Court, Fargo, ND 58104
Hope you can visit my show at “The Red Door Gallery & Museum” of Wahpeton, ND. Because of 2 grants, my workshop price there is only $40.00 if you sign up now. Don’t worry about the weather…if it is too tough we will reschedule OR sign up for my Fargo workshops under events! See my short classes for Kids, Teens and 4 day workshops coming up.
For Red Door events please Contact Noah Dobmeier, Gallery Director Noah Dobmeier [email protected]701-591-1010
- Color of the Midwest: Ellen Jean Diederich featured artist exhibit runs from February 5 – March 30. The exhibit will consist of neo-impressionistic acrylic and watercolor originals depicting the sparkling coolness of the Minnesota lakes to the rich warmth of the North Dakota harvest.
- Workshop with Ellen Diederich:
o Class for Children, ages 6 – 12: February 25 from 3:45 – 5:30. Children will learn to paint a sunflower and take home a signed copy of one of Ellen’s books. Cost is $5 which includes supplies. Contact Gallery to register. Must pay ahead of time.
o Class for Teenagers: February 25 from 7:00 – 8:45. Watercolor lesson teaching to save whites, use light and shadow to create volume. Cost is $5 which includes supplies. Contact Gallery to register. Must pay ahead of time.
o Adult workshop: 9 – 3:30 Tuesday – Friday, February 26 – March 1. The workshop will teach watercolor and drawing techniques. Cost is $40 if you sign up by February 12, $50 if you after February 12. Contact Gallery to register. Must pay ahead of time.
o These classes are made possible by grants from North Dakota Council on the Arts and Otter Tail Power Company. Thank you for supporting the local arts!
- Ellen Jean Diederich featured artist reception will be Tuesday, February 26 from 5:30 – 7:30. This is FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC! Come to see the art and to meet the featured artist!