I’ve been busy completing several works for shows. I will be adding to the blog soon additional images that were photographed together.
In Pastoral, I had an immediate good start to the piece. My under-painting was heavily textured and very pastel in tone. It did not add much contrast to the painting but did give a healthy mood to the painting. I left some of it exposed.
I turned the piece upside down right away and painted the patches on the cow first. This was a great way to get into my right brain and see shapes and my drawing was adjusted. Things looked so good at first I was afraid to tackle them. —so I left the painting for a while. After 2 weeks I was able to diagnose some key areas I wanted to work on and to go for the highlights.
Sitting this painting next to my other paintings, I realized they all had the same green tones. I was using permanent green light with my blues and yellows. Because of this I have decided to pick up some more variety of blues and a couple of different greens. I will experiment with them soon. I do like the greens in this painting but look forward to getting a variety of green tones in future paintings.