On January 1, 1983, the Bismarck Art Association and Elan Gallery consolidated to form the Bismarck Art & Galleries Association. In 1991, Bismarck Art & Galleries purchased the building at 422 East Front Avenue.
The Bismarck Art Association was the beginning of many art activities in North Dakota. In the early 1940’s a few interested people joined together to exhibit paintings of their ancestors and friends. A show was held each fall with artwork and attendance growing. In 1992, the five day event brought 6000 people to view work submitted by 300 artists.